Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Writing Tip From A Newbie?

As a relative newbie to the world of writers I have a very limited number of tips to offer. And quite frankly, the tips I do have have no doubt already been offered by someone else. But, I'll give it a go anyway. You see yesterday I sat at my  desk determined to be productive. After a couple of hours of writing, deleting, writing, and deleting I looked very much like the poor fellow in the picture here. Frustrated does not adequately describe how I felt. It's one thing to sit in front of the computer intending to work, only to be distracted by e-mail, and Facebook, and Twitter. On those occasions I have no one but myself to blame for my lack of productivity. But, to sit down with what I thought was a great story idea, and NOT BE ABLE TO WRITE IT, well, that just STINKS! The words just weren't there. Every which way I tried to get it out of my head just wouldn't work.
So, what did I do? Here's where the tip comes in. I switched gears. I put some music on - LOUD music. Then I made a list of the writing related goals I have for this week. After a little while on that I printed out the critiques of my most recent submission to my wonderful crit group so I could prepare to revise that story. And as a non-published picture book writer I need to spend time on submitting my work - it really is the only way to get published from what I hear. So more researching agents for a couple of stories I have ready, and writing cover letters is on the agenda as well. Switching gears allows me to stay in the creative zone and avoid being overwhelmed by frustration.

Keeping my mind busy with writing related stuff is a good way to get those creative juices flowing. Maybe I'll need to avoid the story that's stuck in my head for a couple of days. I'll let it roll around in there, but I won't consciously try to force it out. When the time is right to tackle writing it again, I'll be ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment